Following technology advancements, use of mobile phones is escalating. Also, due to the ongoing COVID 19 pandemic, movements, meetings and mingling with friends have been restricted in some regions. As a result, mobile phones are on demand as a medium of communication. This has resulted in multiple phone companies in the market increasing the supply of mobile phones. Due to the increase of phone companies in the market, choosing the right one to switch can be confusing. As a result, these companies introduced offers to entice customers to their services. One of these offers is giving free phones when you switch. Some of the common carriers that offer such deals include Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and T-Mobile among others. In this article, we shall take a close look at the various phone companies that give you a free phone once you switch to their network and other related ideas.
Can You Get Free Phones When You Switch? How?
Yes. As we mentioned above, many mobile carriers offer amazing deals on free cell phones when you switch. However, the million-dollar question is, how? Generally, you will have to either consider any of the following options for you get a free handset:
- Trade in an older phone
- Sign up for an unspecified data plan
- Switch from your current service provide and start using the services of the new carrier
If you choose to switch to another carrier, it will be mandatory that you sign a contract with them. However, you will not get the newest models in the market. Instead, you may get a refurbished model that will suit most of your communication needs.
Since you will not need to pay any upfront fee, most people find this alternative lucrative compared to purchasing a new phone outright. Once you sign in the contract, you will be required to pay it off in budget-friendly installments. Depending on the carrier you choose to work with, the payment duration may vary.
Better still, you can also take advantage of the existing deals from this carrier and see if you will get a new mobile device for free. However, this varies from one carrier to another. Some phone manufacturers offer brand new phones. These include Motorola, Samsung, LG, Alcatel, and many more.
Other times, you may have to pay off a fraction of the total costs to get the free mobile device when you switch. This cost will be paid through the monthly bill credits. Thereafter, you will be able to get a new line that can be activated to start enjoying the new service.
You may be lucky to enjoy offers such as unlimited text, data, and voice plans that will help you save more money. For you to enjoy these benefits, you have to remain active. In case you want to end the service or cancel it, you just have to stop paying the credits and instead pay the remaining balance as a whole.
Companies That Give Free Phones When You Switch
In case you are looking for carriers that offer free cell phones to customers who choose to switch to their networks, chances are that you will come across renowned carriers such as:
- Verizon Wireless
Unlike other companies, these own a major portion of the market share in this field. This includes the infrastructure that comes with cell phone services such as the cell phone towers present across the United States.
In addition, they have a great deal to influence the price of the various mobile phones in the market. In most cases, these companies run promotion deals that make it easy for customers to find interesting and appealing deals.
However, other smaller companies offer the possibility of getting a new phone once you switch to their network. Compared to the carries that we have mentioned above, these will offer a variety of offers meant to suit your communication needs. This section has compiled the 6 main carriers alongside others that offer free phones whenever you switch to their network.
This is one of the largest and renowned wireless network operators claiming 99% of the US population. Preferred by many due to its reliable network coverage, Verizon has free phone deals when you switch to entice new customers. However, note that these deals are subject to change. Regardless, the company still wants more customers.
As of now, when you switch, select trade-in and enroll to any eligible unlimited plan, you can get discounted phones like iPhone 13 pro and google pixel 6 pro. You can also get a free $0 phone when you switch to Verizon with no trade-in required. You just need to switch or add a new line and you are good to go. Some of the current Verizon free phones when you switch are:
- Apple iphone 11: This phone is inscribed with a 4GB RAM, up to 256 GB storage capacity and a lasting 3110 mAh fast and Qi wireless charging battery. Its screen display is 6.1 inches with a rear and front cameras of 12MP.
- Apple iphone 12 pro: Boasts of audible stereo speakers, 12 MP rear and front cameras, 6.1 inch screen display and a 2815 mAh battery with lightning and wireless charging. Besides, it has sufficient storage capacity of up to 512GB and 6GB RAM.
- Samsung galaxy S20 FE 5G UW: This is another incredible free phone from Verizon when you switch. It features a 6.5 inch display, up to 8GB RAM, up to 256 GB internal storage and an incredible 4500 mAh battery.
- Samsung galaxy A12: Features 5000 mAh battery, 6.5 inch screen display, up to 6GB RAM and 128GB internal storage. Besides, it has a quad main camera of 48 MP and a single 8MP selfie camera.
- Samsung galaxy AO2s: The phone is inscribed with a lasting and fast charging 5000 mAh battery, 5 MP Selfie and 13MP back camera. It also has 4 GB RAM and up to 64GB internal storage capacity.
- Apple iphone 12 mini: A small, incredible screen size of 5.4 inches, 256 GB internal storage, 12MP main and selfie camera. Moreover, it has a lasting and fast charging 2227 mAh battery that compliments its functionality.
Read More: 7 Best Verizon iPhone Deals for Existing Customers
2. T- Mobile
Although subject to change, several free phones are available from T-Mobile when you switch. However, before enjoying these deals, you have to activate a new voice line with T-Mobile on an eligible rate plan. Besides, you should buy your device through 2 years monthly bill credit, pay any applicable tax or down payment at your time of purchase and remain active in your selected plan. Below are free phones available when you switch.
- LG aristo 5: Designed with a dual 13MP back camera and 5 MP front camera. Has a lasting 3000 mAh battery capacity, allows you to store content in a 32GB internal storage capacity and 2 GB RAM.
- Motorola moto g play: Features a 5000 mAh removable and fast charging battery, accelerometer, proximity and fingerprint sensors. In addition, it has 5MP front, 13MP back cameras, 3GB RAM and 32GB memory space.
- Samsung galaxy A11: This incredible Samsung model has an array of breathtaking features. These are 13 MP back camera, 64 GB memory, 4000 mAh battery capacity and 6.4 inch screen display.
When you switch to ATT, you are lucky to get several options of high end smartphones at zero or discounted price. For instance, you get up to $1000 discount on the new Samsung galaxy Z folds 5G when you switch with an eligible trade-in device. You can also get 50% off on Samsung A52 5G when you switch with no trade-in required. However, when you switch, trade in your older phone and switch to any eligible unlimited plan, you will get the following phones for free.
- Samsung S21 5G: Released January of 2021, this is an incredible phone with an array of upgraded features. The phone boasts of a 12 MP mAh camera, up to 256 GB internal storage and 8GB RAM. Additionally, it has a 6.2 inches screen display and a strong 4000 mAh battery.
- IPhone 13: Rated IP68 water, dust and splash resistance, this phone guarantees years and years of service. It has a dual 12 MP camera, 3240 mAh battery, 6.1 inches display and up to 512 FB internal storage.
- IPhone 13 pro: Imagine getting this latest iPhone for free? Thanks to ATT, you can enjoy 6 GB RAM, up to 1 TB internal storage, 12 MP main and back cameras for free. The phone is built to last with a super retina 6.1 inches screen, back and front Gorilla glass and a water/scratch resistance outer coating.
Recommended Post: Best AT&T Phone For Sale Without Contract – Top 11 Choice
4. Cricket wireless
Are you tired of your current phone? Do you want an upgrade? Switch to cricket wireless today and get iPhones, 5G or android phones for free. However, each phone has conditions to meet before getting it for free. Below are some examples of cricket free phones when you switch.
a. Android deals
- Samsung galaxy A12: When you switch to cricket wireless, bring your number and enroll to $60 per month plan minimum, you can be lucky to get this phone for free.
- Cricket debut: You will also get this smartphone for free when you switch to cricket wireless, bring your number and activate to at least $55 per month plan. The phone features 8 MP camera, 32GB storage and 5.5 inch screen display. It also features 2500 mAh battery and backed up by 2 years cricket free warranty.
- Motorola moto g play: Get this phone for free when you switch to cricket wireless, bring your number and activate to a minimum of $60 per month plan
b. Iphone deals
- Iphone SE: When you switch to cricket wireless and activate a new line to at least $60 plan in a month, you will get this iPhone for free. It features 12 MP main camera, 4.7 inch screen display and 64 GB storage to store your apps, games and images.
c. 5G deals
- Cricket dream 5G: You can also get this phone for free when you switch, port your number and activate to at least $60 plan in a month. The phone boasts of 48 MP camera, 4750 mAh batter with a fast and wireless charging. It also features 6.8 inches screen display and 64 GB storage capacity.
5. Boost mobile
When you switch to boost mobile and meet their terms and conditions, you can treat oneself to a brand new iPhone and Android phone for free. However, these deals have limited time and are given out only while supply lasts. Below are free boost phones when you switch.
- IPhone SE: As a new boost customer, you can get this phone for free when you port a number and activate to boost $60 unlimited plus plan. Note that this free phone offer is limited to one device per line. The phone features a 12MP camera, up to 128GB of storage and 14 hours talk time lasting battery.
- Samsung galaxy A32: When you switch to boost as a new customer, port your number and enroll to boost mobile eligible plan, you get the privilege to enjoy this phone for free. It features: 8GB RAM, 64 MP rear camera, 20MP front cameras, 128GB internal storage and a fast charging 5000 mAh battery.
- Moto g power: You can also get this phone for free when you switch to boost as a new customer, port a number and activate to an eligible plan. Similar to iPhone SE deal, this phone deal has one device limited per line. The phone features, 6.4 inch screen display, 64 GB storage and 16 MP cameras.
6. Metro pcs
Metro pcs is another phone company that gives free phones when you switch. Here, you have a chance to get 4 Samsung phones for free. Alternatively, you can settle for the second option where you get 2 free Samsung phones and 2 free tablets. However, you have to switch or port a number from eligible carrier, activate the number on an eligible plan and select your phone instore only. You can get free phones like Samsung galaxy A12 and Samsung galaxy Ao2s.
Are Free Phones Really Free?
Although most people would like to have free phones, there is no such a thing. After all there I no free lunch. Technically, you will have to pay the ultimate price of your desired handset in one way or another.
To put it into perspective, there is always a catch when it comes to free phones. Even if your preferred carrier offers it at a discount or even offers it freely, you will always pay for it later in life. However, the good news is that you will not pay for the price upfront and thus is ideal for low-income earners.
To get a ‘free phone’, you have to get into a contract with your preferred carrier. The length of the contract will be determined by vital factors such as the price of the phone and your carrier’s policy, among other factors. For instance, if the phone is pricy, be sure that your contract with the carrier will be a lengthy one.
As you sign up for the contract, keep an eye on vital details such as early termination fees and other hidden costs that may make you not get the much-needed value for money. If the contract does not come with hidden costs and is not too low, you can go ahead and sign up for it.
However, if you have the capacity to purchase the phone upfront, go ahead and purchase the phone on the go. Once you purchase your desired device outright, you can then switch carriers as desired. For instance, if you are an expatriate, be sure to do this seamlessly.
What Should You Look At When You Switch Phone Carriers?
Before you take your hard-earned money from one carrier to another, there are a number of factors that you should consider. After all, the last thing you would wish to do is to choose a carrier that hardly offers value for money.
Regardless of how much you have grown to hate your current service provider, doing some due diligence can help you a great deal. The following are some of the vital factors you should put into consideration when switching carriers:
1. Check their coverage maps
Although your preferred service provider may have awesome deals and great customer support, there is a need to keep an eye on their coverage map. For instance, you should be keen to check whether you will enjoy the fast 4G LTE or 5G. Other service providers usually offer 3G and 2G networks in various parts of the country.
For optimal results, your preferred service provider should have a wider coverage map. If it offers 4G LTE network, this network should be present in most parts of the country. If your area of residence is well covered with this network, go ahead and switch carriers.
Besides this, keep an eye on your parent’s house, your weekend getaway cabin, your office, and that of your siblings so as to ensure that you are not caught short in signal stakes. Ensure that you check both data and voice coverage as well as the network speeds you will get on your new carrier. For more optimal results, you can check the maps of these carriers by clicking the following:
2. Check the offers of your new carrier
Different carriers are bound to have different offers for their clients. If you have never switched carriers in the past, chances are that you may be spoilt for choice. Most carriers usually offer a plethora of sweeteners so that they can grab your attention and lure you to try their services. Besides offering huge data, you can check on offers such as the accessories offered by your preferred carrier of choice.
Also, you should keep an eye on the add-ons and any form of discount that will help you save a few bucks. Does the carrier restrict data utility after you have reached the monthly data threshold? These are some of the factors that will determine whether to choose that carrier or opt for another one. The more the offers, the higher the likelihood of getting value for money.
3. Calculate the costs involved
If you want to switch carriers, be sure that there are some costs that come with it. For instance, if you have not completed your current contract, you may have to clear it first before switching carriers. Therefore, you can check and see if there are additional charge fees, such as the Early Termination Fees (ETF). In case you have to bring a family member along with you, take note of the costs involved and determine if it is worth it or not.
4. Understand the steps involved
When switching carriers, there are a myriad of steps involved. For instance, you may have to unlock your device or move all your data to another device. All these steps are vital as they can help you get started on the new network.
For optimal results, you should keep your old plan going until the new one starts working. This will help you retain your current number. In addition, you should also be able to import all the existing cell numbers to the new carrier.
Since some of these steps may be time-consuming, it is good to avoid switching carriers whenever you have an event that is about to take place or going for an interview. This is because you may be required to have a new phone if the current device is not compatible with the new carrier.
For instance, AT&T and T-Mobile usually use the GSM network while their Verizon and Sprint phones rely on the CDMA network. The process of getting a new phone may be time-consuming if you have an urgent event or undertaking to engage in. Therefore, it is advisable that you switch carriers when you have adequate time for all the processes we have mentioned above.
5. Ask for recommendations
When it comes to the network coverage and prices charged by your preferred carrier, it is essential that you seek some recommendations from your closest friend or family member. Chances are that they know someone who was able to switch carriers successfully and might offer some guidance to you.
Better still, they may have switched carriers in the past and can narrate their experience with your preferred carrier. By doing so, you will get the much-needed insights and thus make an informed decision.
6. Availability of a good support team
As you utilize the services of your new carrier, chances are that you may encounter issues with the service. Whether it is network issues or issues with the cell phone plans offered, you will not miss an issue with the new carrier at one time or another. Since you are not used to the new network, you may feel helpless.
If you find yourself in that situation, the most important thing is to contact the customer support team. This is the reason why you should choose a carrier that has a good customer support team. Besides this, it should provide avenues to reach the customer support team.
Whether it is through a live chat, phone number or email, there should be a clear way on how to contact the customer care team so that you can address your issue. Finally, the customer support team should always be ready 24/7 so that you can contact them any time of the day.
How Do I Switch My Phone To Another Carrier?
When switching carriers, there are a series of steps that one needs to follow. From the outlook, these steps are somehow universal for all carriers. However, you can expect some variations here and there, depending on the policies of your preferred cell phone service provider. Here are the steps that you should follow:
1. Determine the service provide with the best offers
Currently, there is a proliferation of service providers claiming to offer the best cell phone deals ever. Some may claim to offer a free cell phone once you switch carriers. To get the best deal, you should compare the different offers from different carriers and then choose the one that suits your needs.
Ideally, your preferred service provider should be able to meet your needs to the greatest possible extent. If your preferred service provider offers its services even in your location, you can go ahead and choose it.
2. Request the change of service
Once you have chosen your preferred service provider, time is ripe for you to request for a change of service. Here, you should go to an authorized agent so that he or she can undertake this procedure for you. Better still, you can visit the company’s website and then initiate the change of service process.
As you purpose to request a change of service, remember that you have to complete the switch with your new service provider before you can eventually cancel the service with your previous carrier. Once everything is set, you can now request the agent to transfer your old number to the new service provider.
3. Fill in the details
There are some requirements that you must have at hand whenever you want to make a request to switch your service. Once you give this information, wait for confirmation for you to start the porting process.
In case there is a need for additional personal information, be ready to give it to your service provider’s agent. Once this is done, you can now order a new line and then activate it. After that, you can now start enjoying the new service from your preferred carrier.
As you switch carriers, your new carrier will avail the following options for you;
- Exchange your old phone for a new one
- Keep your old device
- Receive a brand new handset.
If you choose to keep the old phone, the new carrier will give you a SIM card kit that needs to be activated before you can enjoy the new service. If you choose to exchange your old phone for the new one, you will have to inform the new service provider and then bring the phone for examination. After that, the company will inform you whether you will be able to exchange the old phone for a new one or not.
Finally, read the payment conditions keenly if you choose to get a new handset. Although you may get the device for free at that moment, you will always receive monthly bill credits. Better still, you can choose to pay upfront and save a few bucks.
What Government Phone Service Gives You A Free Phone?
- Safelink Wireless
- Access Wireless
- ReachOut Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
- American Assistance
- Blue Jay Wireless
- SafetyNet Wireless
- StandUp Wireless
- Life Wireless
- TerraCom Wireless
Several phone companies give free phones when you switch. These companies have amazing brands and models of free phones for new customers. However, it’s true that these phones are not entirely free. Instead, some companies require you to enroll in an eligible plan before getting your free phone. Therefore, you engage in a contract that is payable when terminated earlier. In our guide, we have covered the six best companies to consider.